A place for show-and-tell, wondering aloud, and wandering the trails of curiosity . . . Comments, corrrections, additional information, fresh insights, other interpretations, more images, or related observations will be welcomed!
All-over front design envelope, unused. A Civil War Sanitary Fair facility, the Cooper Shop Volunteer Refreshment Saloon and Hospital on Otsego Street in Philadelphia began operation on May 27, 1861. Ten days before, on May 17, 1861, a similar operation, The Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon and the Union Volunteer Hospital, opened. Activities continued at the Cooper Shop until December 1, 1865, serving over 315,000 meals to soldiers and raising almost $58,000 for aid to soldiers.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.orgAll images not otherwise indicated are copyrighted by Richard D. Sheaff and not to be used for any purpose without written permission.